US and Turkey reach agreement to suspend military operation in Syria for 120 hours
US Vice President Mike Pence and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have reached a deal to suspend Ankara’s operation in northern Syria for 120 hours to allow Kurdish forces to withdraw from a designated safe zone, a Turkish official told Middle East Eye.
Following a long meeting between Turkish and American top officials on Thursday, the two sides came to an agreement amid growing opposition to the Turkish incursion in Syria.
The safe zone would be primarily enforced by the Turkish military, and the two sides will increase their cooperation to implement the deal.
Turkey will take maximum care not to harm civilians in the safe zone, the official added.
Once the military operation stops, Donald Trump will lift the sanctions he imposed on Turkey earlier this week.
The agreement also stipulates that Kurdish militants, including the People’s Protection Units (YPG), would have their heavy weapons recollected and their fortifications and all fighting positions disabled.
“We got exactly what we wanted out of the meeting,” a senior Turkish official told MEE.
You may be interested
Turkey 6.8 earthquake – Reports of at least 4 casualtiesmakis - Jan 24, 2020
A magnitude earthquake 6.8 on the Richter scale has hit eastern Turkey, according to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre. The depth…
The places hardest to afford a home (infographic)Panos - Jan 24, 2020
Big cities like London or San Francisco are well-known for their expensive real estate markets. But there are also a…
PM Mitsotakis: No political solution in Libya without scrapping of Turkish-Libya dealPanos - Jan 24, 2020
“We will not ask Turkey what to do with East Med pipeline”, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis told Harvard and Stanford…