France, Germany agree on next step for fighter jet program

22 November 2018
826 Views

France and Germany have reached an agreement on the next steps in a joint program to design a next-generation combat jet, French Defence Minister Florence Parly said on Tuesday.

The jet, due to go into service in 2040, is expected to replace the Rafale, built by France’s Dassault Aviation, and Germany’s Eurofighters, made by a European consortium.

Parly said on Twitter that the agreement included the planned launch of a prototype or demonstrator of both the aircraft and the engine by the middle of next year.

“Decisive step today with the agreement to start the architecture and design studies and the launch of demonstrators (aircraft and engine) by mid-2019,” Parly tweeted. “It is advancing.”

Germany and France signed a memorandum of understanding in April and agreed that France would take the lead. The two governments have been at odds about future exports, while the companies involved are fighting over leadership of the system to integrate the jet with drones and other weapons.

Dassault and Airbus will shortly submit an unsolicited proposal for initial conceptual work on the new fighter jet to German and French officials, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters last week.

Source:reuters

You may be interested

Coronavirus Greece: 2,874 new cases, 144 intubated, 15 deaths
GREECE
shares14 views
GREECE
shares14 views

Coronavirus Greece: 2,874 new cases, 144 intubated, 15 deaths

makis - Jul 28, 2021

Greek authorities announced that the new laboratory-confirmed cases of the coronavirus recorded in the last 24 hours are 2,874, of…

Odysseus’s Ithaca – Five beautiful beaches you must visit
GREECE
shares27 views
GREECE
shares27 views

Odysseus’s Ithaca – Five beautiful beaches you must visit

Panos - Jul 27, 2021

Ithaca is one of those hidden gems that Greece has to offer the inquiring traveller. The island, known as the…

Turkish businessman pays €76,000 fine in Mykonos for Covid-19 violation on yacht (video)
FINANCE
shares47 views
FINANCE
shares47 views

Turkish businessman pays €76,000 fine in Mykonos for Covid-19 violation on yacht (video)

Panos - Jul 27, 2021

A Turkish yacht owner paid a total of €76,000 for violating Covid-19 regulations in Mykonos. The businessman was fined for…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.