No EU for Turkey: European Commission President Juncker
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker gave his annual State of the European Union address at the European Parliament on Wednesday morning presenting his vision for the future of the Union.
Mr. Juncker ruled the prospect of an EU membership for Turkey in the foreseeable future in his speech. The main points of Juncekr’s speech were:
A single president at the helm of the Commission and the Council, after having been elected in a pan-European campaign;
* A European minister of economy and finance. A future Commissioner for economy and finance, ideally a Commission vice-president, could carry out this role as well as chairing the eurogroup;
* Transnational lists for European elections. “I will try to convince the leader of my parliamentary group to try to follow this idea”.
Trade/ eurozone/ enlargement:
* Eurozone: Member states that are obliged to adopt the euro need support of a euro accession instrument, which will offer pre-accession assistance;
* Need to strengthen European trade program. Opening trade negotiations with Australia and New Zealand;
* Calls for a new EU framework for investment screening;
* All EU rules on worker mobility must be implemented fairly, simply and effectively “and for that, we need a new supervisory authority. We are going to set up a common labour market authority.”
* Member states should agree as soon as possible on the European pillar of social rights;
* Legal migration routes. Returning migrants with no right to stay in Europe;
* High time to bring Romania and Bulgaria into Schengen area, as well as Croatia, when it meets the criteria;
* Greater and credible accession prospects to countries of the Western Balkans. But not during Juncker’s mandate;
* But there can be no EU membership for Turkey for some foreseeable future.
You may be interested
Poll: New Democracy leads with a 14.8% difference to SYRIZAmakis - Jun 24, 2021
The governing party of New Democracy is clearly leading the polls with 37%, a difference of 14.8% from SYRIZA which…
Greece and Italy top European picks for American touristsPanos - Jun 24, 2021
Italy and Greece are the top two choices in Europe for American travellers this season, according to a report by…
Turkish coastguard harassed Cypriot fishing boat (photos)Panos - Jun 24, 2021
New provocation from Turkey. Turkish coastguards harassed the fishing boat “Maria – Bouboulina”, while sailing in international territorial waters. The…