Greece orders 2 men to remain in custody pending IS trial
A Greek magistrate has ordered two men to remain in custody pending trial on charges of attempting to travel to Syria through Greece to join the Islamic State group.
The suspects’ lawyer, Menia Polychroni, says her clients deny any wrongdoing.
The two men, born in Bosnia and Yemen but travelling on Swedish passports, were arrested last week near the Greek-Turkish land border. Police confiscated two knives, a military-style waistcoat and a rifle shoulder strap from their possession.
The suspects, aged 29 and 20, haven’t been identified. They have been charged with membership in a terrorist group, arms possession and possessing military equipment with the intent of supplying a terrorist group.
They appeared before a magistrate in the northern town of Alexandroupoli on Tuesday. No trial date was set.
You may be interested
The Crusader castle of Chlemoutsi in the PeloponnesePanos - Jan 19, 2021
Imposing, and rich in history, Greece hosts countless medieval castles and fortresses. Each one has a different story to tell…Some…
Independent Panel says WHO and China failed to act fast in Covid-19 responsePanos - Jan 19, 2021
The World Health Organization and Beijing could have acted faster when Covid-19 first surfaced in China, a group investigating the…
Cavusoglu openly threatens Greece with war in front of German Foreign MinisterPanos - Jan 19, 2021
Greece and Turkey might have agreed to sit at the table for exploratory talks at the end of January, but…