US and Turkey reach agreement to suspend military operation in Syria for 120 hours
US Vice President Mike Pence and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have reached a deal to suspend Ankara’s operation in northern Syria for 120 hours to allow Kurdish forces to withdraw from a designated safe zone, a Turkish official told Middle East Eye.
Following a long meeting between Turkish and American top officials on Thursday, the two sides came to an agreement amid growing opposition to the Turkish incursion in Syria.
The safe zone would be primarily enforced by the Turkish military, and the two sides will increase their cooperation to implement the deal.
Turkey will take maximum care not to harm civilians in the safe zone, the official added.
Once the military operation stops, Donald Trump will lift the sanctions he imposed on Turkey earlier this week.
The agreement also stipulates that Kurdish militants, including the People’s Protection Units (YPG), would have their heavy weapons recollected and their fortifications and all fighting positions disabled.
“We got exactly what we wanted out of the meeting,” a senior Turkish official told MEE.
You may be interested
Paros is the best island in Europe for 2020: Travel + LeisurePanos - Jul 09, 2020
The Greek island of Paros is the best island in Europe, according to Travel + Leisure. The well-known travel magazine…
Greece, Hungary discuss energy cooperationPanos - Jul 09, 2020
Greek Environment and Energy Minister Kostis Hatzidakis on Thursday met with Hungary's Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Peter Szijjarto. The…
Turkish actions in Mediterranean counterproductive for stability, US State Dept. saysPanos - Jul 09, 2020
Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Matthew Palmer expressed Washington’s deep concern over Turkey’s actions in…