Argentina submarine that disappeared one year ago found

18 November 2018
137 Views

The wreckage of a submarine that disappeared a year ago with 44 crewmen on board has been found, the Argentinian navy has said.

The ARA San Juan was detected more than 2,600 feet deep in waters off the Valdes Peninsula in Argentine Patagonia, a statement said.

It went missing 430km (270 miles) off the Argentine coast on November 15, 2017.

In a tweet, the navy said a “positive identification” had been made by a remote-operated submersible from the American ship Ocean Infinity, which was hired for the latest search for the missing vessel.

It had earlier shared a picture from the seabed, suggesting a 60m-long object might be the missing submarine.

The discovery was announced just two days after families of the missing sailors held a commemoration one year after the sub disappeared.

On Thursday, on the anniversary of the disappearance, Argentina’s president Mauricio Macri said the families of the submariners should not feel alone and delivered an “absolute and non-negotiable commitment” to find “the truth”.

He promised a full investigation after the submarine was lost. Federal police raided naval bases and other buildings last January as part of the probe, soon after the government dismissed the head of the navy.

You may be interested

Weather forecast: Mostly fair
GREECE
shares14 views
GREECE
shares14 views

Weather forecast: Mostly fair

Panos - Feb 19, 2019

Mostly fair weather and winds from variable directions are forecast for Tuesday. Wind velocity will reach 6 on the Beaufort…

Rubicon storms Swiss embassy
GREECE
shares24 views
GREECE
shares24 views

Rubicon storms Swiss embassy

makis - Feb 18, 2019

Rubicon stormed the Embassy of Switzerland, at Iasiou Street 2 in Kolonaki earlier this morning. According to information, the members…

Did Minister Polakis hide income or did he lie?
POLITICS
shares23 views
POLITICS
shares23 views

Did Minister Polakis hide income or did he lie?

makis - Feb 18, 2019

The exclusive report in Proto Thema on Sunday, revealing that Alternate Health Minister Pavlos Polakis was granted a consumer loan…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.