Juncker dismisses Turkish claim of ‘threat’ posed by 2 Greek servicemen who strayed across border

19 April 2018
178 Views

EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker on Wednesday, speaking in the European Parliament, said a recent Turkish claim that a pair of jailed Greek servicemen posed a threat for the neighboring country is ridiculous.

The two men continue to be held in pre-trial detention in the European Turkey border city of Edirne after allegedly straying across a poorly demarcated line on the Greece-Turkey land border on March 1, 2018.

Juncker’s assessment was backed up by Europarliament president Antonio Tajani.

In response to questions from Greek MEPs, Juncker reiterated that he asked for the pair’s release before Orthodox Easter (April 8) in the presence of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during an EU-Turkey summit in Varna, Bulgaria last month.

You may be interested

Greek architect Costas Kondylis who changed the face of New York died
GREECE
shares23 views
GREECE
shares23 views

Greek architect Costas Kondylis who changed the face of New York died

makis - Aug 20, 2018

Costas Kondylis, one of Manhattan’s most prolific architects and a close friend of President Donald Trump, died at the age…

Fire in Amaliada: One village has been evacuated
GREECE
shares24 views
GREECE
shares24 views

Fire in Amaliada: One village has been evacuated

makis - Aug 20, 2018

A fire broke out in the Amaliada area on early Monday afternoon. An evacuation order for the village of Dafniotissa…

Erdogan says attack on economy the same as an attack on flag
WORLD
shares26 views
WORLD
shares26 views

Erdogan says attack on economy the same as an attack on flag

makis - Aug 20, 2018

The Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated in a video message in the occasion of the Muslim Eid al-Adha festival…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.