Buckingham Palace: Prince Philip will no longer carry out public engagements from September
The news was announced at an “emergency meeting” with all senior staff and aides at the palace this morning.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen.
“Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.
“The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.
“Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.”
Speculation surrounded the unexpected meeting this morning, but Buckingham Palace insisted there was “no cause for concern”.
Downing Street has said they will make a short statement on the announcement later.
You may be interested
Covid-19 Greece – 566 new cases and 30 deaths on Tuesdaymakis - Jan 20, 2021
The Greek authorities announced 566 new cases of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) Tuesday, of which 17 were identified after…
Mitsotakis: Our seas are doubling – We reserve the right to expand our territorial waters in Crete & elsewheremakis - Jan 20, 2021
“We reserve the right to extend the territorial waters in Crete and elsewhere when we choose”, said the Greek Prime…