Greek Embassy in Rome says no Greek casualties in quake, calls for blood donations
The Greek Embassy in Rome on Wednesday issued an announcement saying that there have been no Greek casualties reported in a devastating earthquake that has so far resulted in nearly 40 deaths and dozens of injuries in central Italy.
“There are so far no Greek victims among the casualties or injured in the earthquake,” the embassy said in its announcement and went on to urge any Greeks living or vacationing in the area to respond to an appeal by Italian authorities for blood donations.
The 6.2-Richter quake struck in the early hours of the morning when most people were asleep, razing homes and buckling roads in a cluster of towns and villages some 140 km (85 miles) east of Rome, Reuters reported on Wednesday.
Aerial photographs showed entire areas of the town of Amatrice flattened and debris filling the streets of nearby Accumoli.
Civil protection authorities have confirmed that at least 38 people have been killed and dozens are still missing, possibly buried beneath debris, raising concerns that the death toll may rise.
You may be interested
Giannis Alafouzos leaves Panathinaikos as president!makis - Sep 21, 2017
Main shareholder at Panathinaikos football club, and President of Skai TV, Giannis Alafouzos released a statement announcing his departure from…
The Albanian “velvet ethnic cleansing” of the Greeks of Northern Epirus at the OSCEmakis - Sep 21, 2017
The “National Association of Northern Epirus 1914” participated for the third consecutive year at the Annual Conference of the Office…
Greek-Chinese relations examined in the 12th Greece-China Joint Ministerial Committeemakis - Sep 21, 2017
The Deputy Foreign Minister, Giorgos Katrougalos and head of the Greek delegation stated during the 12th Session of the Greek-China…