Holiday breakups: 12 reasons why couples split up!
Summer holidays are a minefield for couples, as this is the time when all “buried” problems rise to the surface or great expectations are revealed. It is not by chance that each year many couples split up just before their holidays or come back solo. Quite often, some couples even choose to spend some time apart and go on holidays without their better half. The question is, why does this happen?
Mr. Konstantinos Konstantinidis, President of Andrology Institute Athens (www.andrologia.gr) explains: “Must-dos and pretensions have nowadays grown into major burdens that eliminate people’s true feelings. We see an artificial ideological conception of dreamy summer days, when men take up the role of Dionysos and women become Sylphs, in a sea of orgasms for a short period of time, i.e. during the month of August, when nearly everyone goes on a summer break. I am truly unable to understand how, in just ten days at the most, men and women who have been feeling dead inside and trapped in their tired fleshes can be reborn just like worms turn into butterflies”.
Here are some of the main reasons for which, according to Mr. Konstantinidis, the… forbidden fruit is more appealing during the summer holidays and, of course, why couples split-up.
1. While living together as a married couple or long-term partners, many discover that the law of attraction keeping them together in the city magically disappears while on vacation.
2. Partners let their egos come out and, while on holiday, everyone seems to realise that there might be a chance they made the wrong choice in their relationship. This is when they start to look at other men or women.
3. Many couples who do not spent much time together when in the city spend each minute together while on holiday. This intensive coexistence can bring up a lot of tension.
4. Many people try their best to make their holidays exceptional, but this might make their partners feel that they cannot meet such expectations.
5. Couples often worry that if they go on holiday together they will have to deal with all above, so they force themselves to go on holiday along with other couples with whom, however, they aren’t even in speaking terms when back in the city. They think this is the trick for escaping the misery of monotony.
6. People who suddenly break out of their routine often face psychosomatic problems.
7. Many partners feel the need to take up the role of lovers and they are overwhelmed with “performance anxiety” that is catastrophic for their relationship. Moreover, they force themselves to reach orgasm, to have sex and to flirt no matter what.
8. Intense workout and dieting before summer holidays bring irritation and aggressive behaviour that is usually let out on family members.
9. When in holidays, couples have plenty of free time to think of the problems that they will face together during the coming winter. Existential questions and depression build up.
10. Vacation is the period when the Cinderella syndrome comes to surface. When getting ready to hit the beach, the mirror usually says that you are not the prettiest of them all, nor the richest or the happiest. This syndrome brings envy and jealously which is harmful to your relationship.
11. The size question. Display of anatomical features causes anxiety and insecurity – the idea of penis augmentation was in fact “born” at a beach in Rio de Janeiro.
12. The “devil’s triangle” (breasts, butts, abs) turns beaches into catwalks, since many women walk on the sand on their tiptoes as if they were wearing high heels.
“When you go on holidays, you do not need to have many clothes or set your goals high when it comes to sexual performance. People need to understand that the best partner is the one who is sitting next to us and not the one in our wildest dreams. Because the ideal relationship, ideal sex, ideal partner is like the truth itself: inconceivable by the human mind” points out Mr. Konstantinidis.
“Remember the lyrics by the Great Constantine Cavafy: As you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere else in the world… This means that if you think you have a good life in the city centre you may as well pack everything up and go spend sometime on an isolated island. If not, you better stay home, because otherwise there won’t be a single thing you won’t fight about when on holidays!”
You may be interested
Greece is a place where you can touch history, US Ambassador Pyatt saysPanos - Jun 14, 2021
"If I had to choose something from Greece, this would not be a specific place but a ... thing. It…
Where Europeans Get To Work From Home (infographic)Panos - Jun 14, 2021
The social distancing measures introduced in response to the Covid-19 pandemic has forced many people to work from home and…
How many earths/resources needed if people lived like these countries (infographic)Panos - Jun 14, 2021
The world celebrated Earth Day last week, and if the citizens of the world lived like those of the United…