Historic Thessaloniki church reopens after restoration
Part of the Unesco World Heritage List since 1988, the building is one of the most important Roman monuments in the city and stands next to the Arch of Galerius. This cylindrical structure was commissioned by Roman Emperor Galerius in 306 AD, who had planned for the structure to be his grave. Through its turbulent history, it served first as a Roman mausoleum, then as a Christian church and during the Ottoman era, as a mosque.
From 1920 and until the end of WWII, the Rotunda housed the city’s archaeological treasures by serving as a museum. In 1978 it suffered damage from an earthquake and was covered in scaffolding until last year, when archaeologists announced it would close for full a restoration.
You may be interested
Syros: Greek tradition & western influence come to a harmonious marriagePanos - Oct 20, 2017
Ermoúpoli (meaning “the city of Hermes”) is the island’s capital town and has been the first important trade and industrial…
Environment may have partially led to the fall of Queen Cleopatra, research suggestsPanos - Oct 20, 2017
Environmental records and historic documents suggest a volcanic eruption could have aided the Romans in victory According to a report…
Greek astronomer in Germany discovers spindle-like galaxiesPanos - Oct 20, 2017
Athanasia Tatsi is another Greek scientist at the forefront of global scientific research this time in the field of Astronomy.…